If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (520) 648-7360

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Is Mold? (Do I Need A Mold Inspection?)

2/10/2015 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation What Is Mold? (Do I Need A Mold Inspection?) Black mold growth, when seen in this concentration, should be addressed immediately by a mold inspector.

Let me start of by saying what mold is not, this may help narrow things down a bit. Mold is not bacteria, animal, or plant. Mold is a fungus, much like a mushroom and requires water and some type of substrate material to grow. A substrate is a nutrition source that fungus needs to grow. Mold will thrive in almost any substrate including carpet glue, gypsum based drywall, and wood. Often, after a home floods, mold growth begins instantly and will eventually become visible as green, black & blue spots. Especially if the structure is not dryed thoroughly. Please note, mold is everywhere and all of us have been exposed to it on a daily basis from the time we were born. Some of us are much more sensitive to the "spores" mold releases which may agitate current medical conditions such as asthma or allergies.

At certain concentrations however, all of us become susceptible to these mold spores in varying degrees. It is difficult to say exactly how much mold is "a lot" or "enough to cause symptoms". But a good rule of thumb is to call a professional mold inspector or water restoration company as soon as a mold colony is noticed with your naked eye.

If you suspect mold growth or have noticed a mold colony on your flooring or walls we guarantee you have a water problem. Wether it is from a recent flood or maybe a small invisible leak, the problem needs to be addressed. As long as there is residual moisture in your home the mold colony will continue to expand and the spore concentration will continue to increase. If small enough and contained in one location one can try to scrub the infected area with soapy water, rinse, and dry. Although this may work for the time being the liklihood of an underlying water damage problem is very good and a professional should be called.

Other News

View Recent Posts